- News & Media
Jim Robertson is a member of the firm’s litigation practice, which was named a “highly recommended” Connecticut litigation team in Benchmark Litigation’s Guide to Leading Business Litigation Firms and Attorneys. Jim has regularly been recognized as a preeminent litigator in Benchmark Litigation, Chambers USA, Superlawyers® (“Top 50” and “Top 10”), and Best Lawyers in America. He is rated AV- “Preeminent” by Martindale Hubbell and 9.7 “Superb” by Avvo. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and of the American Board of Trial Advocates (“ABOTA”).
Jim has been first chair in over 50 jury trials and 100 court trials in state and federal courts. He serves as national coordinating counsel of product liability claims for numerous manufacturers, and is frequently selected as a special master, arbitrator and mediator. Jim has served as a Superior Court judge and as the firm’s Managing Partner. He is an ordained Congregational Minister and serves as the Associate Minister of the Watertown Congregational Church.
- Lead trial counsel in a federal jury trial involving antitrust violations, trade secret misappropriation and computer crimes. Client prevailed on all claims, resulting in a judgement of nearly $65 million.
- Secured what is believed to be the largest punitive damage award (over $27 million) in the history of the State of Connecticut.
- Secured a $25 million settlement in a trade secrets and unfair trade practices case.
- Lead trial counsel defending a trailer manufacturer accused of causing the deaths and serious injuries of eight Yale students riding in an SUV that struck a disabled trailer while returning from a fraternity initiation. After a five-week trial in federal court, the jury returned within one hour with a defense verdict.
- Part of a small team of the firm’s lawyers that defended a national gas transmission pipeline company that provided gas to a major plant being constructed in Connecticut. Several workers were killed, and many were injured when the plant exploded.
- Lead counsel defending gas company that was sued when gas leaked into a restaurant, causing it to explode, resulting in deaths and serious injuries.
- Represented Connecticut’s governor in lawsuits brought by major media and employee unions.
- Represented Connecticut’s Chief Court Administrator and Chief Justice in lawsuits brought by major media and others arising from judicial confidentiality disputes.
- Lead counsel representing major train manufacturers in cases arising from train derailment and explosion in Canada that resulted in deaths of 49 residents and the destruction of a village.
- Served as Guardian Ad Litem for beneficiaries in dispute over multi-million trust.
- Served as lead Special State’s Attorney representing State in several appeals of criminal cases.
- Lead trial counsel successfully representing franchisees in their claim of unfair trade practices against national franchisor, resulting in award of $1.8 million.
- Lead counsel representing wholesalers in their claims against State for unconstitutional retroactive imposition of escheat law.
- Lead counsel representing race track in its claims of unlawful zoning regulations by town, and in defense of injunctive actions brought by town residents.
- Served as court-appointed Special Master in action between government contractors and in numerous tort claims against hospital alleging sexual abuse by doctor.
- Benchmark Litigation – Local Litigation Star, 2008-2015, 2019-2023
- Listed in the 2023 Chambers USA Guide in the area of Litigation: General Commercial
- Recipient of the 2011 Distinguished Graduate Award from the University of Connecticut School of Law
- Selected by peer review for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, 1995-present (©Woodward/White, Inc.)
- Selected for inclusion in Connecticut Super Lawyers® in the area of Civil Litigation Defense, 2006 – 2021; Top 10 Connecticut Super Lawyers®, 2009; Connecticut Top 50 Super Lawyers®, 2006 – 2011, 2018, 2020-2021
- Selected for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers® in the area of Civil Litigation Defense, 2007 – 2016; New England Top 100 Super Lawyers®, 2007 – 2012, 2016
- S. District Court, District of Connecticut Special Master, 1997-present
- Carmody Earns Top Rankings in Benchmark Litigation
- 33 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected to the 2020 Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars in Connecticut Lists
- 29 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected for Best Lawyers®
- Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys and Practice Groups Receive Honors from Chambers USA
- James K. Robertson, Jr. Joins Connecticut Junior Republic Board of Directors
- Connecticut Defense Lawyers Association: past Board member and President
- Connecticut Bar Foundation: past Chairman, Kravitz Symposium on the Vanishing Trial
- Connecticut Judicial Selection Commission: past Commissioner and Chairman
- Connecticut Bar Association: past Co-Chairman, Committee to Establish Lawyer Assistance Program
- Chair of the Board of Trustees, The Hartford Seminary
- Board of the Connecticut Junior Republic Association, Inc.
- The Hartford Seminary: service as Board Vice Chairman and Treasurer; taught graduate courses on The Causes and Origin of Evil and Systematic Theology
- The University of Connecticut School of Law: past President of the University of Connecticut School of Law Foundation; taught course on The Legislative Process for several years; recipient of the Distinguished Graduate Award
- Connecticut Humanities Counsel: past Board member and Chairman
- United Church of Christ: past Moderator of the local, Connecticut and national settings
- Connecticut Junior Republic: Board member
- Board Membership: past service on boards of Mattatuck Museum, Waterbury Symphony, Visiting Nurses Association
“Hes terrific. He’s client-centric, very knowledgeable and a very great counselor.”Chambers USA, 2022
“Jim is an exceptional lawyer.”Chambers USA, 2021